Sunday, September 03, 2006

Skiing and Snowboarding

It's my first time skiing/snowboarding, so fascinating! The activity was organized by some nice guys from the SKI board of SMTH BBS. It cost 120 RMB for a whole day skiing and 30 RMB for round-trip bus to Qiaobo Ice & Snow World, a great indoor ski/snowboarding resort in Shunyi (a district in the east of Beijing).

So many guys from our department turned up: Barbary, bluewhales, dreamer, eNigMa and his girlfriend, gb, King, sheven and his girlfriend, superhog, taurus, wolf, xray, Yulai and his sister, that might be a half of all participants. We departed at about 8 o'clock in the morning and arrived there in an hour by bus. After changing for ski wear and taking ski equipments (skis, boots and poles) I started my whole day's tumble. First we were taught how to fall down and get up by an expert. Well, believe me that's not easy to do it. Then we learned snowplow, the downhill technique for beginners. And we practised. I didn't fall down at my third try and tried to learn turning. It's so great that I could turn slightly before lunch.

After lunch I skied for a while and began to experience snowboarding, which was really cool but much harder to start. That's a far longer story of falling down again and again but really amazing to jump and rotate in all attractive actions. Also at my third try I didn't fall down on a snowboard. However, there's not enough time to practise more. At about 5:30 in the afternoon we left. Snowboarding would be enjoyed next time, I'm pretty sure.

No comments: